Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Spiderman 4: Advent of the Bulky One



I have a number of ideas of what I think the next Spider-man movie should look like. Hopefully, Sony will continue its winning streak and keep the director and main cast. What Spider-man needs more than anything is a coherent storyline that was absent in both 2 & 3. Now, I'm a sucker for a good opening and this is what a good blockbuster can do. I have an idea of bringing the arch villain the vulture in an opening sequence and making him a comic character than is really more annoying than threatening, because lets be honest, an old guy is not much of a threat. And this goes double for the vulture. Vultures, if anything are creepy, an ugly but necessary evil on the food chain that do a good job on diving up the carcass. So I think a homage to that arch enemy of Spidey would be to do a type of homage by having him open the film with a bang and appear in mid flight with Spidey. I liked it in the Lord of the Rings: Two Towers (the second one) when Gandalf feel into Middle Earth hacking at the Balrog in the opening scene lending as itself as one of the most fantastic movie opening of all time. I'm not saying this is my conception for Spider man, I just think it would be good to open with a bang, and with humor. For the vulture role, I think it's got to be Ben Kingsley who even resembles the Lee Ditko creation of the sixties. I think that should set the tone for the film in the realm of the fantanstic similar to the Pirates of the Carribean scene (the third one) in the whirlpool and the Two Towers fight sequence. Kingsley as Vulture would interupt Spidey in the most inopportune moments: "Get off me, old timer!" I can see it now.
New Guys in Drag
As I said in my previous post, Spidey's next big enemy after Doc Ock was the Kingpin. I don't know who could carry that much weight but I do think it would be a good idea to introduce him into Pete Parker's family network gradually, as James Franco was developed and worked in as Peter's nemesis ( a little too quickly, I feel). He could be an underworld tyrant who doubles as shining light of the city, maybe a public attorney or something. He could be like William Defoe, an inventor intent on blackmailing his enemies. Enemies like Robbie Robinson. I don't like Raimi's Robbie, the guy is too round and bumbling, and not at all the calm voice of reason that Robbie is in the comics. I liked the guy who plays the president in 24, who seems more empathetic and with it. The Kingpin could be the boss of guys like a Romanian circus owner and a zoo keeper infatuated with tarantulas. But Spiderman 4 could be a good opportunity to introduce a new hero too, Robbie Robinson's son, who is near this explosion of atomic waste that transforms these characters into beings with super powers. These heavies, pals could be Spidey's neighbors or guys he sees in his apartment loading furniture. They could be after Robertson and decide to kidnap his son and end up as the The fallout of this accident gives each a unique power. They transform this Romanian immigrant into a chain welding lion taming dynamo intent on getting back at whatever stands in his way. This guy only wants revenge and domination. The other honcho is not much better, some say even worse. He wants to enrich himself and does it with guile and a sense of humor. He's out for number one and can't stand being saddled with this guy. Once he work's off his debt to the Kingpin, he's free and clear. Well, the grass has never been greener and he has landed on the grass like his namesake and poised pointy feet has luckily acquired the strength of a mighty tarantula. I always liked the Tarantula, but I think the prospect of getting Antonio Banderas aboard is too tempting to resist. I also like Robert DeNiro for the Kraven role who would need a sidekick villain because Kraven is not a stand alone villain, even though he has his tigers to keep him company. The two kidnap Robbie's son who could be played by Larentz Tate or a newcomer like Rob Brown. The powers Rob are given are those of a panther, a Black Panther. And that could be the start of a spin off that the Spidey series has been craving. That's craving, not kraven. Okay, so these ideas are lame, I prefer to call them "undeveloped," like so much of the crap Hollywood is spewing these days. But if transformers can lay waste New York City why can't genes trasmorgify a person into the animal they most admire? Isn't Robbies' son another photographer friend of Pete's taking picture of Panthers at zoo? Okay, that sound like Spidey three, but he is related to Robbie.

No comments: